6.10.2008

I wish I could be better about calling people, but I am terrible at it, so maybe writing it once for many to see will be easier for me. I wanted to let you all know about my dad. Four months ago, he went in for surgery at the U. He had a tumor on his kidney and they were going to remove the cancerous part of the kidney. They thought that would be the least invasive route and easiest for recovery. They told us three to five days in the hospital. Well, he came out of surgery fine (like he always does. My dad has been through previous cancer and surgery to remove it and has always fought through it all.) A few days later, when they went to get him up for the first time, his surgery site started to bleed which caused all his vital signs to drop significantly. They pumped him full of fluids to keep him alive and soon after took him in for minor surgery to clot the bleeder. We were very worried about this but he came out fine again. All the fluids they pumped into his body saturated his lungs and made it almost impossible for him to breath though. After trying many options to help him breath, nothing was working good enough and they had to intubate him. That is such a hard thing to have to go through. You can't talk or eat. (which are personally my two favorite things to do) He was at the ICU in Salt lake for a month fighting to get better. My mom and I decided it would be much easier on all of us if we had him transferred to McKay Dee. There, he spent months fighting a very hard battle to get better. It seemed everything was always against him though. He kept having set backs with one thing or another and it put his progress further and further behind. The past couple weeks were very rough. He became very edemetis. I don't know how it is spelled? He had over 30 extra pounds of fluid in his body. That was putting pressure on his whole body including his organs. Nothing they gave him removed the extra fluid. The doctors told us his kidney were shutting down due to all the medications and treatments he had been recieving. We were at the end of the road and we knew there was nothing left to fight. The hardest part of this long battle, is the whole time, my dad's mind has stayed very sharp. He knows everything that is going on and he wanted to come home so bad. He still had so much to live for. I have never felt so much empathy for someone in my whole life. My sadness has always been for myself, but these past few months, I was able to feel the Savior's love for my dad and the love he must feel for all his children. I was in so much pain, not for me, but for my dad. I wanted to take his place so bad and let him be free of all the pain and sickness he was going through. Wednesday night, Dallin came up to the hospital where my mom and I had pretty much been camping out the past few days. He gave him a beautiful blessing that felt like the words were directly from God. That night, he passed away. I know he is in a better place and is free from pain, and that has been what is getting me through. But now my tears are for myself. After I got married, my dad and I began a wonderful relationship that I am so grateful for. He would take Bentley and me out to lunch and play games and watch movies with me when being a stay-at-home mom would sometimes get a little boring. He was always there for me and gave me everything I ever wanted in life. He taught me so many life lessons that I will never forget. I wish I had so much more time with him. Please appreciate the relationships you have with your parents. The hurt is so heavy when they are gone. I want to thank EVERYONE who has been so sweet and caring. I have recieved so many flowers and cards, and believe it or not, it HELPS SO MUCH!! So THANK YOU!!! If you are interested, we are having a memorial service tonight at Lindquist on Washington at 6:00 pm.

16 comments:

grant + brittany said...

I really feel like words can't express what I have to say to you. I am so proud of you for being so strong. We will keep you and your family in our prayers. I'm so grateful that you get to see him again.

Love,
Grant & Brittany

mike and elise said...

Megan, I am so, so sorry to hear about yout dad. Please know that you are in our prayers and that I am here for you if you need to talk. I'm wondering if maybe I should find someone else for this Friday so you can be with your mom? Let me know. I love you, and I am praying for you.

The Gibson's said...

You're a wonderful girl with a wonderful testimony! I am so proud of you and how strong you have been. I love you so much and it was so good to see you today.
love you
Cambria

trudy...{and jamo} said...

Megan! Oh, I'm so sorry your Dad passed away. You are so strong and i can tell you have the a good attitude. Dang girl, i don't even know what to say! I love you!
I've been so excited for you to have a new post and i' so sorry to hear about your dad...I'm looking forward to the 20th to hear what you're having! Love ya girl, we'll keep you in our prayers!

Dave and Lindsay said...

Megs-
First of all, I would like to say how sorry I am for your loss. Your dad seems like an amazing person and I wish I could have gotten to know him. I am grateful that your relationship grew in the past couple of years though and I know that is something you will always treasure. You are such a strong person and I know he is looking down on you and is proud of the person you have become! I love you girl!!
Love Lindsay

Linds Forrest said...

Megan I saw on Cambria's blog about your death. I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and we will keep you in our prayers. You are amazing and I will definately keep you formost in my prayers!!
Love Lindsey

Anonymous said...

Megan, Dallin & Bentley-

We're so sorry to hear about your dad. We really know what you are going through. When my dad passed away I can honestly say that was the hardest thing I have ever been through. A friend of the family said "there is a difference between sympathy & empathy". After going through this I now know what empathy is. It is such a blessing that you got to spend time with him before he passed. I'm sure he was proud of your family & knew that you would be able to take care of each other. My testimony has grown through the experiences I had during the week after my dad passed. I'm sure that your are experiencing many of the same things. I know that I will see my dad again & you will see your dad again too.

Hopefully we will see you when we come West soon! We're thinking about you.

Love, Your Ohio Friends
Sarah & Wade Hansen

Melissa Garn said...

We were so sorry to hear about your Dad. We are praying for your family to be comfoted.

Landen and Heather said...

Megan I am so sorry to hear about your Dad your family has been in my thoughts and prayers.

Todd & Meggen said...

We too want to let you know of our love and support for you guys! I can't even imagine how hard it is to go through what you have been through! But I admire your strength and positive attitude! It really makes you appreciate the family and relationships you have! If you need anything, help with benny or anything give us a call!
Love, Todd, Meg and Tess

Josh and Nikki said...

Megan I am so sorry to hear about your dad! You and your family are in our prayers!

Josh and Nikki said...

Megan I am so sorry to hear about your dad! You and your family are in our prayers!

.:sommersclan:. said...

Hey Megan, I am so proud of you for how strong you have been through all of this. It has been fun to hear about you and your dads relationship. I know that you will miss him so much. And I am so glad that you have such a srong testimony to know that you will see him again. I love you guys so much and if there is anything that we can do for you let me know. You are so awesome, and so strong. Thank you for being such an amazing example to me:-)

tHe HiLL FaMiLy fiVe said...

Megan, I am so, so sorry about your dad. We are thinking of you and your family and will keep you in our prayers.
Your little guy is DARLING, and so BIG. CONGRATS on the second! I'm glad you left a note! It's good to see your little family. Keep in touch!- Hills

Galbfam said...

Hey megan.. I came across your blog and was totally surprised it was you =) I am so sorry about your loss. We are so lucky though that we can be together forever and you will see him again. I hope evertthing else is going well and your family is beautiful!!
Keri

The Brandt Family said...

Oh Megan, I had no idea you were going through such a hard time. We are so sorry to hear about your loss. You are such a trooper, our thoughts and prayers are with you guys.